Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

You may be able to get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit (IIDB) if an accident of disease at work has caused you to become ill or injured.

Roberts Jackson has a full understanding of the Industrial Injuries Benefit scheme and can offer valuable advice on the subject. If you are looking to claim for IIDB, we can also guide you through the process to make sure that it remains simple and straightforward.

Am I entitled to claim?

There are certain terms and conditions in place for claiming the Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit. You will be eligible for the financial support if:

  • You were employed when the accident or incident took place.
  • You were working in England, Scotland or Wales.

The assessment of the benefit will also depend on whether the disease or accident is prescribed by the Industrial Injuries Benefit Scheme.

Remember, you cannot claim for the Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit if you are self-employed.

Claiming for a work related disease or condition

The IIDB scheme covers over 70 different diseases and illnesses, ranging from Noise Induced Hearing Loss to conditions relating to Asbestos Exposure.

A disease can only be prescribed if the risk to workers in a certain occupation is substantially greater than the risk to the general population, and the link between the disease and the occupation can be established in each individual case or presumed with reasonable certainty.

Claiming for an accident at work

In these circumstances, Roberts Jackson would advise you to inform your employer of the incident as soon as possible. Also, make sure that the details are logged in your employer's Accident Book, even if you are not looking to claim the benefit straight away.

At this stage, we would also suggest that if you may want to claim for the benefit in the future, that you apply for a declaration through your local Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit office.

How do I apply?

You claim through your local Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit office. You will be required to download and complete a form, where you must outline details regarding your accident, medical details and personal information.

Roberts Jackson can assist you through the completion of the form. We can also make sure that it is sent to the correct office with all the right details.

How much am I eligible for?

The amount of financial support you receive will depend entirely on your disability and age.

You may be asked to attend a medical examination by your Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit office in order to determine the extent of the damage caused by your work. They will then write to you to inform you of how much money you are entitled to.

The financial support you do get, which is a maximum of £161.50 for 100% disablement, will be paid into your bank account every week.

Please note that the Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit may affect the following benefits if you are already claiming for:

  • Income Support
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income-related)
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Pension Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit

Contact us for IIDB advice and support

If you need further information on the Industrial Injuries Benefit scheme or would like us to provide legal guidance during your claim, please do not hesitate to call us on 0800 001 4496.

1 Trackback

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *